Defending Potential...Become a mentor and make a BIG Impact! Be a friend to a child and have fun with them on a consistent, regular basis. By mentoring an at-risk child for 4-6 hours each month, you can make a positive, long-lasting impact on a child and on our community! At any given time, we have over 100 children on our waiting list, so we have a great need for adults to volunteer in our program to be caring mentors and friends for the children that we serve.
What is a Mentor? Our mentors (Bigs) help mentees (Littles) navigate life's challenges as they strive for a successful future. Bigs serve as a consistent presence in the lives of their Littles and support them in setting and achieving goals that ignite their full potential.
We encourage our matches to do low cost or no cost activities to ensure the focus remains on building a meaningful relationship between Bigs and Littles. We support matches in the Reno, Sparks, Carson City, and Fernley areas.
- Lunch Buddies - For Bigs 18 years and older, and fits easily into a busy schedule (one hour per week during the school year)! Meet at your Little's school and build a friendship by playing games, helping with homework, reading, shooting hoops, and getting to know one another.
- Community-Based Mentoring - For Bigs 21 years and older, and offers more flexibility in scheduling and activities (2-4 meetings per month to be scheduled by you and the Little's family). Pick up your Little at their home and take them to do something fun out in the community like a hike, visit to the museum, pizza night, etc. and then return them to their home after the outing.
- Sports Buddies - For Bigs 21 years and older who enjoy playing and watching sports. This is an element of our Community-Based Mentoring program where we also offer monthly group events and sports tickets. Sports Buddies helps children who don't have access to youth sports leagues, and teaches Littles important lessons on sportsmanship, teamwork, leadership, and health
- Bigs with Badges - For Bigs 18 years and older in the fire, EMS, corrections, law enforcement, and certain state or federal department fields. Bigs with Badges is a hands-on response to increased risky behaviors among youth in low-income communities. The program offers youth the benefits of our 1:1 mentoring plus positive interactions with first responders, and results in youth having better attitudes toward law enforcement officers and first responders.
- 18 years-old or older
- Have access to reliable transportation
- Commit to meeting with a child a minimum of 12 months
The mission of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northern Nevada is to create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth. We believe that every child has the ability to succeed and thrive in life. We make meaningful, monitored matches between adult volunteers (Bigs) and children (Littles), ages 6 through 18, in our community. We develop positive relationships that have a direct and lasting effect on the lives of youth.